Sunday, September 11, 2011

Adventure is out there: Crashing a stranger's wedding.

As established previously, I am afraid of a great many things.  I'm afraid of trying new things, of failing, and perhaps most of all, I'm afraid of breaking any rules for fear that I might get in trouble for it.  These fears often stand in the way of my taking chances and experiencing things that make life fun.

That's why I am trying to make myself branch out and take small risks.

That's why I crashed a stranger's wedding last night.

It's true!  I found myself with the opportunity to walk right into the wedding reception of a complete stranger, and I took it! 

Here's the whole story:  My husband and I were at a swanky hotel having drinks with friends to celebrate a birthday.  Towards the end of the evening, as we were wrapping up and getting ready to leave, we noticed many drunkards walking around in fine clothing.  Laughter and a bad Adelle "Rolling in the deep" cover were coming loud and clear from the private ballroom off to the side.  Realizing it was a wedding, and figuring they probably had an open bar, I decided it might be fun to take advantage of.  So, with my husband on my arm, we snuck in the back entrance and set about making the night ours.  Or, at least, the next approximate seven minutes ours. 

First:  Hit the bar for free beverages.  We got in, crossed the dance floor, and made a b-line for the bar.  I ordered a white wine, my husband, a ginger ale.  We walked over to some abandoned seats, I dropped off my coat and threw back the wine, wanting to take advantage of as much of the wedding as possible, and knowing that I couldn't enter the dance floor with wine in my hand. Time spent at the wedding: about 3 minutes.

Second: Boogie.  My husband hates dancing.  I mean, it really makes him uncomfortable.  Yet, reluctantly, he joined me on the dance floor and together we cut a rug.  We boogied to some dance club song for a little bit and then, we noticed a strange light on us.  Bingo!  It was the videographer, which meant we were officially on film!  This is what I wanted because, what is good is it to break some rules and have no proof of it?  I glanced over my shoulder and realized, not only were we now on film, but we were on film because the bride was on film, and she was right next to me.  Time spent at the wedding: about 5 &1/2 minutes.

Third:  Get the heck out of dodge. Knowing that, if there was one person who could ruin everything and point us out as the impostors we were, it was the bride, and what good is it to break some rules if you get caught?  I grabbed my husband and we went back to retrieve our coats, kissed passionately to feel like we'd really lived, and left.  Total time spent at the wedding: about 7 minutes.

I have to admit, I'm really proud of us for taking that chance, and even prouder that we weren't booted out.  In the future, I will be sure to try to be smoother, not look so nervous and out of place.  Also, I will be sure to take some more time drinking my wine.  It was only one glass, nothing that should have effected me at all, but being that I downed it in under 2 minutes, it had quite the impact on me.  In the future, I will be careful not to do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment