Monday, September 12, 2011

Everyday sorrow.

Last night I cried.  I didn't simply shed a tear, I wept.

My husband and I went to Cold Stone Ice Cream because we had a gift card, and while standing in line, the woman behind me stepped over to the freezer and got some pre-made ice cream cupcakes.  She came back and joined her son, who was about 15 years old, in line.

Woman: "I'll just get these so we can take them home and Joel can have one when he gets in".
Boy: "Oh, so then we don't need these(innocently holds out ice cream coupons)?"
Woman: "What part of what I just said makes you think that we won't use those?  You always do this.  You never listen and it pisses me off!  This is why I don't like going places with you, this is why I never bring you with me!(She is now quiet for at least 15 seconds while she just stares at him, the kind of look that makes one feel like dirt.  He does not argue, he does not defend himself, he just lowers his hand with the coupons so it hangs at his side.  He drops his gaze and, standing with slumped shoulders, stares at the floor.  She continues...) I am so sick of this, and you know who else is too? Heather(I am assuming this is the boy's girlfriend).  She is a beautiful, smart, intelligent woman, and this is why she's getting sick of you!  You do this to her too, and she's not going to put up with it much longer!"

She continued on, but lower so I couldn't hear.  All the while he was quiet, accepting what she said.  He looked down at the floor for a long time, then met her gaze through his wide rimmed glasses, his round cheeks void of all color.

I wanted to fight for him.  I wanted to slap her, tell her she was evil, and that she had no right to fill his head with these lies about himself.  I wanted to take him away, to rescue him and help him be strong; but what could I do?  If I spoke up, I would have made a scene right there, embarrassing him even more publicly than this woman was doing.  Plus, whatever I said, I'd be able to walk away and he would almost certainly have hell to pay.  So I was quiet, and my stomach turned and my shoulders slumped like his. 

What could I do?

I prayed for some chance to talk to him, just some small opportunity to let him know he had value.

We ordered, paid and turned to leave.  As I stepped behind him to exit, I was still wracking my brain searching for something that would have meaning for him, something to give him hope yet not provoke her.  Then I saw it: his sweatshirt was for a high school drumline.

Me: "Excuse me?"
Boy: (slowly turning to face me with his sweet eyes through those wide rims, head still slightly down) Yes?"
Me: "Are you on a drumine?!"
Boy: "Yes, I am."
Me: "That's so cool!  I don't play the drums, but I've always thought drumline's are awesome.  Way to go, that's really cool!"
Boy: "Thank you."

And then, this boy with the sweet eyes and the gentle spirit, shook my hand.

It was perhaps the most stirring action of valor that I have ever witnessed from a stranger, and I was proud of him.

I smiled, told him it was nice to have met him and wished him a good evening.  I held it together through the door, but once outside I broke.  How could she do that to him?  How could she look at that child and feel anything but affection?  I had an interaction with him that was maybe 30 seconds, but in that time I saw his integrity, his depth, and I wished that he were mine.

To the boy in the Cold Stone Ice Cream line, please know that you have worth.  Please know that others look at you (yes, even complete strangers), and see your value.  Know that Heather is a lucky girl and, if she doesn't see it, then don't waste your time.  She's lucky to have you, not the other way around.

Know that it gets better and, please, whatever you do, don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment